Air Duct Cleaning
What are the Benefits of Air Duct Cleaning?
Having your ducts cleaned can help eliminate many problems. Expect to see the following benefits:
- Less dusting required: When dust builds up in the ductwork, it can be blown out into the living space when the blower motor kicks on. This leads to dustier surfaces.
- Improve indoor air quality: One of the biggest reasons people seek air duct cleaning is to eliminate contaminants that cause asthma and allergies symptoms.
- Save energy and money: Air moves most freely over smooth, clean surfaces. The EPA states that a buildup of only .042 inches of dust in the ductwork can decrease heating and cooling efficiency by more than 20 percent. Clean ducts can therefore save energy and lower your utility bills to help the service pay for itself.
Common Contaminants Found in Indoor Air
The EPA has pointed out that indoor air is often many times more polluted than outdoor air. Many contaminants grow or get stuck in the ductwork. Then, when the furnace or air conditioner comes on, these contaminants are circulated into the air you breathe. The most common of these are:
- Mold spores
- Pet dander
- Dust mites
Removing Debris, Animals or Other Air Duct Blockages
When you hire a contractor to clean your ductwork, expect the technician to do the following:
- Inspect the system before cleaning; including checking to make sure no asbestos is present. If this is the case, special equipment is needed to remove it.
- Lay protective covers over household furnishings and carpet during the cleaning process.
- Vacuum out the ductwork and either exhaust the air to the outside or use equipment fitted with a HEPA filter if the vacuum exhausts to the interior.
- Brush off duct surfaces with a soft-bristled brush to dislodge dust and debris.
- Remove animal nests and other evidence of pests.
- Seal and insulate the ductwork to prevent air infiltration. Re-insulate any access doors that were necessary to open for cleaning to take place.
Signs You Need Air Duct Cleaning
It's especially important that you seek air duct cleaning if any of the following exists:
- Mold growth: If you see mold or other microbial growth on the ductwork, that's certainly worth addressing. Keep in mind, those substances that appear to be mold should still be confirmed by laboratory analysis. You should also take steps to change conditions in and around the ductwork to prevent future mold growth, such as replacing wet insulation.
- Vermin: Rodents, insects and other pests may decide to call your ductwork home. If you hear scurrying feet or beating wings within the ductwork, an air duct cleaning could resolve the problem.
- Excessive dust: Excess dust and debris built up in the ductwork could cause your home to become dustier. Ask your contractor to use a camera to check inside the ductwork for this problem and show you the evidence before they begin to clean.
To learn more about air duct cleaning, or to schedule an appointment, please contact Rainbow International® today.