As wildfires continue to ravage parts of the nation (with Texas, Arizona and Florida particularly hard-hit) many home and business owners have been faced with damage to their structures and contents. As of mid-June over 34 million acres of land have burned. While Rainbow International® specializes in fire and smoke damage cleanup and content restoration, the best policy is one of prevention and safety.
“We bring the best and latest in technology, training and equipment to bear when working fire and smoke damage jobs for homes and businesses,” said Rob White, Rainbow International president. “However, it’s one of those jobs we’d much rather see prevented to begin with. In the case of wildfires, education, awareness and prevention can go a long way towards saving lives and property.”
Rainbow International offers the following tips on wildfire safety and prevention:
- Call 911 if you notice any unattended fire (don’t assume someone else has already called)
- Be aware of and obey local outdoor fire ordinances and burn bans
- Never leave a fire burning unattended (e.g., campfire, cooker, cigarette/cigar)
- Extinguish and dispose of cigarettes and cigars properly (never throw out a car window)
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home or business
- Have a home or business fire escape route planned and practice it regularly
- In the event of a wildfire, stay on top of local news and obey evacuation advisories/orders
- Have a disaster kit ready (e.g., water, non-perishable food, medications, identification, change of clothing, radio)
- If you must evacuate your home, remove combustibles from the yard (e.g., firewood, yard waste), close all windows, vents and doors and shut off natural gas supplies
- Don’t attempt to return until local authorities give the all-clear
“It’s amazing what can be done with many structures and contents damaged by fire and smoke,” added White. “Using the tools available today, we can often salvage and return to pre-loss condition items you wouldn’t expect, like documents, photographs, media storage devices and electronics. One thing you can’t restore, though, is a human life. We’re ready for fire and smoke loss calls but always hope prevention and safety come first.”
For more information and to locate your nearest Rainbow International, please visit www.rainbowintl.com. We also welcome you to follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rainbowintl, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/rainbowintl and YouTube at www.youtube.com/rainbowintl.
Rainbow International – Industry Leader and Innovator
Rainbow International® provides “best practices” with integrity and the highest of standards in restoration and cleaning services. Utilizing the most advanced equipment, innovative technologies and a built-in accountability system, our professional emergency crews complete every job rapidly to assure an uncompromising commitment to service excellence and customer satisfaction. Ultimately, we don’t just restore homes and businesses; we restore value, stability, and peace of mind.